Press Conference {Written & Directed by Alexander Hilli}


Press Conference

(taken from IMDb) 

Director: Alexander Hilli  (Youtube) (IMDb)

Writer: Alexander Hilli  

Cast:  Ray Calleja;  Yana Shevchenko; Paul A Maynard 

Watch Press Conference Here

Synopsis From Youtube:

"You only get one chance. So stay calm. Breathe. You don't feel pain." In the high-stakes world of professional boxing, the line between victory and tragedy is razor-thin. Press Conference follows a newly crowned light heavyweight champion in the immediate aftermath of his greatest triumph—and his darkest moment. As the flashbulbs pop and the questions turn from technical to terminal, a chilling reality begins to emerge: the cost of the belt might be higher than anyone realized. This psychological thriller dives into the shadows of the ring, where unorthodox training methods, suspicious histories, and the pursuit of greatness collide. It’s not just a fight for a title; it’s a fight for the truth.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: 

I apologize for any grammatical or structural mistakes my sentences might have, English isn't my first language and never have I ever before attempted to write reviews in a  professional way. If some of the sentences are overly descriptive or complicated that's because It's directly translated from Georgian to English. I will try to improve my style  of writing in every post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: 

I struggled with writing the first paragraph for this short film because I genuinely didn’t know what to point out first. The intense beating of the drums that immediately hooks you in? The distinctive color grading that establishes the film’s identity within the first 20 seconds? gripping performance from the main character? Or even the theme itself?

Struggle was real.

I was also a little afraid  to watch this and judge it as if I knew what I was talking about, especially because I’m not familiar with this sport. But the film goes beyond simply being centered around a particular sport.

Short films are such a thought-provoking side of filmmaking because with limited time and often limited resources, you have to compress the theme and the questions you want to explore into ten  minutes. This film actually made me think about something I had never really stopped to consider before, like what happens after incidents like this occur? Who is legally responsible? How are these situations handled? 

The film does a great job of showing how passion blinds the sanity, though I believe the main character has fallen into the obsession at that point. 

I also really liked how the film handled its color scheme throughout. Microphone cushions being only pop of the colors in this particular scene was very pleasant to the eyes. 

(Taken From YT)

Another interesting choice was making the woman the one questioning the chaos and its aftermath. I especially liked that she doesn’t immediately reveal everything she knows to him. Instead, she's kind of testing him, That slow buildup becomes one of the film’s strongest elements. 

(Taken From YT)

It fits the thriller genre well. It doesn’t throw everything at you at once. It slowly creeps up on you, revealing one piece after another, with each new detail somehow worse than the last.

the performances left a strong impression. Actor rightfully portrayed someone cocky and overly confident in himself, that self appreciation and poisonous arrogance is not easy to portray especially when you have few minutes to show it to the audience, I did feel like in each second he was about to blow up from anger and confrontation. 

The actress that played the investigator also needs a  massive appreciation, such a calm yet provocative demeanor  from the screen and we mostly saw her on one side. Even with such limited framing, she brought a lot of personality to the character and kept my attention whenever she was on screen.

(Taken From YT)

The whole thing felt much bigger than a short film. At times, it felt like I was watching something made with millions of dollars and decades of experience behind it. I can’t say there was much technical issues or errors that stood out to me as something that needed criticism, if anything I kept noticing how little there was to complain about. The film feels confident in what it is trying to do, and it uses its limited runtime very effectively.

To be honest, I can see this having a lot of potential to expand into a feature film. Many short films don’t necessarily work as features because the limited information or subtle commentary on certain issues is what makes them alluring in the first place. But with this one, I found myself curious about the bigger picture and wanting to know what happens beyond what we are shown. Both the journalist and the coach have intriguing sides to them, and I think there is a lot of potential in exploring their characters further. 

Can't wait to see more work from the director. 


Short Film Brought To You By - @BronsonCreative

If You Want To Share Your Work >  https://www.bronsoncreative.us/vhf21 

--------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn's End: The Horror - {Directed by: Jerry J White III} - {Written by: Raymond Creamer} - {Story By: Jerry J White III, Raymond Creamer, Sarah Carman}

Onedoorland - {Directed By: Chris Williamson} - {Edited by: Raquel Estes} - {Produced by Andrew Rolston}