Onedoorland - {Directed By: Chris Williamson} - {Edited by: Raquel Estes} - {Produced by Andrew Rolston}
Onedoorland is a short film Directed by Chris Williamson, Edited by Raquel Estes and Produced by Andrew Rolston. Film was made for IFCKC One Night Stand Filmmaking Competition 2026 in under 10 hours
Main Actresses:
Lorette Louise as Dotty
Wendy Thompson as Marie.
Taken From Youtube: Chris Williamson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
review:
Firstly, I want to mention that I came across this short on Substack, when Raquel Estes (Editor), replied to me in a comment and linked this as one of her recent works. The title immediately intrigued me, and I was even more pleased to learn that this short film tied for first place in the IFCKC One Night Stand Filmmaking Competition 2026.
I want to underline the performances first, because not mentioning those lovely ladies calmly reminiscing about their late mother would be a shame. I really felt like I was missing their mother with them, there was something so wistful about the way they delivered those lines in two minutes.
The transition from melancholy to an eerie sense of mystery was intriguing, with the editing and shot placement playing a major role. The sudden change in music completely alters the atmosphere, and the slow zoom that follows two seconds later subtly highlights the out-of-place door. The combination of the two builds a sense of suspense without revealing too much too soon.
When it comes to the final sequence of the story, I have to admit that it confused me a little. Why did only women come out of the door? Why were they screaming and jumping around so erratically? At the same time, I liked how the camera seemed to move along with them, adding to the heightened tension of the moment. That said, it's predictable to leave the ending open to interpretation in a short film, where a mysterious or ambiguous conclusion can leave the viewer wondering what exactly happened.
As I was researching more about the short I came across an article written by the editor, (Read Here) I learned that the creators were given a little trophy as a prop and the theme “beating the odds.” I really liked how they incorporated that theme in a way that leaves room for the viewer to question what actually happened. it did make me wonder, did they really beat the odds, or did they simply escape whatever was waiting for them? There are so many ways to interpret the ending, perhaps they travelled through time, or crossed into some other reality entirely. In that sense, I think the ambiguity of the ending works well with the theme, because it leaves the question of whether they truly “beat the odds” or not.
Overall, considering that the film was shot and edited in under 10 hours, I found it surprisingly well-executed. The entire team did a great job making the most of the limited time and resources, the film managed to deliver great performances, a distinct atmosphere, editing which brought the story together and an ending that leaves room for interpretation.
Congratulations To The Whole Team For Winning The Contest.
Looking forward to their next project.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I came across this short from reaching out to the editor here's her socials!
Raquel Estes - Amateur Screenwriter
Raquel's Substack - Film school diaries / Short Funny Personal notes / Film Festivals / Screenwriting Journeys
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Notes: I apologize for any grammatical or structural mistakes my sentences might have, English isn't my first language and never have I ever practiced writing posts in a professional way. If some sentences are too wordy or complicated it's that it might have been translated from my language to English. Any feedback and criticism on my writing is welcomed as I'll take it in consideration. I will try to improve in every post.
Comments
Post a Comment