Autumn's End: The Horror - {Directed by: Jerry J White III} - {Written by: Raymond Creamer} - {Story By: Jerry J White III, Raymond Creamer, Sarah Carman}
Autumn's End: The Horror PREMIERS 27TH OF AUGUST
Directed By: Jerry J White III
Written By: Raymond Creamer
Story By: Jerry J White III, Raymond Creamer, Sarah Carman
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Synopsis From Youtube:
''After their parents' death, the Rademacher twins travel to Michigan to close the family home. While there, they discover that they aren't alone and must fight for survival -- a fight that continues long after the violence ends.''
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer - Review contains few mentions of scenes that contains minor details. Original review was much longer but I shortened it because I didn't wanted to spoil the whole movie. The scenes I used has only been mentioned for the sake of pointing out artistic choices and how well they were done.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Review:
Before ''an undergrad bear ghost'' chases after me,
I feel inclined to mention that I've been honored to see this film before its premier on the 27th of August. I went with different expectations when I hit the play, I mean there's literally ''Horror'' in the title, trailer sets the mood to be something soul gripping and synopsis really give you an idea that the journey you are about to go through will jump you out of your seat. But Autumns End isn't that kind of horror. it's the kind that creeps up on you intensely and psychologically bits you up to pieces slowly.
Besides the technical side, which was wonderfully done, I mostly want to talk about the writing, its emotional impact, and the direction. Portraying and writing about grief isn't as easy as it may seem to some people. Yes, it's simple to set up a camera, give your actor a mark to stand in a dark room, and tell them to look sad, but the creators of this film did so much more than that. The film showed how loss affects not only the people who lost but also the people around them, relationships fall apart, family losses its connection. They approached sorrow through even the smallest details, details that only those who have truly experienced it could realistically portray when depicting such a heavy chapter of life.
Either that or they literally put down someone under the microscope and observed them 24/7.
To talk about the certain aspects of direction, (Because I can't talk about all of them as it might lead to spoiling the whole movie if I go scene by scene) In my opinion, good approach of it means communicating the scene and its atmosphere to the audience in a way that it amplifies the plot or its point without any dialogue. A scene when the sister stepped into the house after her parents death is an example of those things. The house feels soulless. Take away the color grading and the house still feels the same. Props aren't even hinting that no one has been living there anymore. I remember from so many shows and movies they cover the furniture with white sheets to kind of give you a sense that no one has set foot in the house for a long time, but this scene didn't need any of that. It's the writing, the delivery of those lines, the expressions, and the emotional frustration displayed by the actress that make us feel the hollowness of that house.
If we talk about how experience and talent are measured in filmmaking, we naturally end up debating flexibility and the ability to carve each frame around the plot in a way that satisfies several aspects of visual storytelling, whether it be composition, directing actors, delivering lines, how and to what extent color grading is applied to a scene, editing, and everything else that may be invisible to some of the audience but is as important as water is to us. I looked carefully at each scene and every detail, trying to find something that dissatisfied me, but every aspect I mentioned only drew me further in. The climax of the film made me tense and anxious so suddenly that I didn't even realize how deeply I got hooked into the story.
One of the things I liked most about the writing, was that we see two sides of the same coin. On one side, we have someone who tries to heal, understand herself, and remain conscious of what her sibling is going through. We see her attempt to move on from the traumas she has endured rather than to be defined by them. On the other hand, we follow a journey filled with vindictiveness and obsession, a desire for revenge that leaves him unable to see anything beyond it not even how his familial bond with the only person capable of loving and understanding him unconditionally slowly deteriorates around him.
Another note that I personally found favorable was the choice to make the siblings twins. Usually, whether it's in books or movies, when children lose a parent, their age difference often determines how they are expected to deal with the loss. Older siblings are often made to take on the role of a parent, and writers sometimes oddly try to suggest that an older child having “spent more time” with their parents gives them more reason to be MORE depressed or MORE controlling than the younger one. I liked how the creators justified the brother losing his sanity by making him a witness to the horror, while the truth of what he witnessed was hidden from his sister. Those two conditions are what made him slowly crumble.
Now, I do understand that the choice of making them twins could just be an artistic choice from the writer and creator and not be that big of deal. I do like movies that make you wonder even after they have ended. Loose ends and three-dimensional characters that make you question your own judgment. This movie falls exactly into that category, leaving me with questions about certain characters and whether some things we learn about them were shaped by what they experienced or were simply part of who they had always been. Perhaps something mentioned during the sister's therapy session only added to that thought. It did make me want to connect the dots and think beyond what was shown on screen.
Overall, Autumn's End: The Horror is a film that makes you emotionally experience the story alongside its characters, feeling their turmoil as it unfolds.
A portrayal of how grief and sorrow dictates human life,
and an unpredictable paths they lead you to if you choose to keep it in yourself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerry J White III (Director Of The Film) Is a filmmaker and educator that runs a free film school on Youtube - @BronsonCreative This year he will also be licensing films from self-distributed artists and splitting the ad revenue with them.
If You Want To Share Your Work With Jerry: https://www.bronsoncreative.us/vhf21
Author's Note: I apologize for any grammatical or structural mistakes my sentences might have, English isn't my first language and never have I ever before practiced writing posts in professional way. Some of the sentences are directly translated from my native language to English. I will try to improve style of writing in every post.
Have A Peaceful Day <3



Thank you so much for this thoughtful review of my film. As we re-release this film 10 plus years after it was made, I look forward to it reaching new audiences and communities. I am grateful for your time and I look forward to seeing more of your film reviews in the future. Thank you once again, it means the world to me.
ReplyDeleteJerry
Thanks for reaching out!
Delete